Monday, February 22, 2010

Monkey Bread


I got this recipe from my grandma years ago. She would always make it for my brothers and I when we were little and we just couldn't get enough. It isn't the most nutritious treat but it is the perfect thing to make for those occasions that only come around a few times a year that call for an indulgent breakfast. It requires no more experience to make than boxed cake so even if you are brand new to the world of baking, you can impress your friends and family with this fabulous classic!

MONKEY BREAD

3 pkgs Frozen Biscuit Dough
3/4 c White Sugar
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 c Butter
1 c Brown Sugar
1/2 c Chopped Walnuts(optional)
1/2 c Raisins(optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a pan with the shape of your choice.
2. Mix the white sugar and cinnamon together in a plastic bag. Cut the biscuit dough into cubes and shake 6 to 8 pieces together at a time in the sugar mixture. Place the pieces in the pan as you go and continue until all the dough has been covered. If you choose to use the nuts or raisins, make sure to spread them as you place the dough in the pan to make sure the are evenly dispersed.
3. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together. Boil for one minute and then pour over the dough in the pan.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes. Let the bread sit in the pan for at least 10 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack.

One of my favorite things about this is it is so family friendly. Adults love it because it is a simple treat and kids love it because its sugary and really fun to eat! There is no need to cut this bread. Just let it cool and put it on a serving dish and it pulls right apart. This is another one of those posts where there is not much you can do to make it healthier but like I said, thats what makes it fun for those times of year that don't come around too often. It is also a really fun activity to do with friends because everyone can help do something and then you all get to enjoy it together!

6 comments:

  1. This is a great blog, Lauren! The pictures are making me totally hungry, and I love all of your easy-to-follow directions, and personal commentary on why you like each of the recipes personally. The layout is easy to follow, and your background makes things very easy to read. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had these many times and I can say they are absolutely delicious. It's sort of a family tradition to have it every Christmas. Your recipe is almost exactly the one we use. Way to go your blog is helpful and you have some great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so tempted to go and make this right now lol. Only thing stopping me is that I don't have any biscuit dough handy. Anyone know of a good substitute like flower or something? I have to admit I don't know much when it comes to cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had this. I like the sound of it! I think I will have to make some for breakfast this week... Well if I get time. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this recipe. My mom used to make this for me and my siblings growing up. Its so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of this before this sounds great, I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete